Category Archives: Potkin V
Here is a wonderful game by GM Potkin,V from recent Bundesliga action.
- 2007 he tied for 1st–9th with Alexei Fedorov, Andrei Deviatkin, Aleksej Aleksandrov, Viacheslav Zakhartsov, Alexander Evdokimov, Denis Khismatullin, Evgeny Tomashevsky and Sergei Azarov in the Aratovsky Memorial in Saratov.
- 2011, in Aix-les-Bains, he won the European Individual Chess Championship with 8½/11.’
The BB-BN phase can be divided into smaller steps for ease of study.
- Driving back the strong Ne4
- A general advance on the kingside(37.g4 etc)
- Fixing the kingside(45.g5)-Massaging down the queenside(48.a4) to create a queenside target-the a6 pawn.
- Clearing out the center for the bishops to roam(54.e4).
- Tying black’s king down to the g6 pawn(61.Bc2)
- Sending the king to the queenside to infiltrate via the c-file and dark squares while black’s king is tied to the kingside(Ke3-d2-c3-c4-c5-b6!).
- Winning the a-pawn(76.Kxa6) and then promoting the b-pawn.
Potkin,V (2663) – Gonda,L (2528)
4.e3 g6 Schlecter Slav[D10]
Bundesliga 2012–13 Baden Baden GER (6), 09.12.2012
Black has just challenged the cramping e5 pawn with 32…f6. How should white continue?
White to Play